A couple of months ago whilst scrolling through twitter, someone I follow recommended the author Alan Watts. Last month I started reading one of his books called The Book On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are. I was unsure of what to expect but found that I really resonated with much of the writers words. Whilst reading the book I made a few notes of the quotes I liked best as I thought it would be good to share them.
- Every individual is an expression of the whole realm of nature
- Attention is narrowed perception
- Problems that remain persistently insoluble should always be suspected as questions asked in the wrong way
- Society as we know it is therefore playing a game with self-contradictory rules
- A permanently vicious specious destroys, not only itself, but all other life in its environment
- Most of our products are being made by people who do not enjoy making them
- The more strenuously you grasp this airy nothingness, the more swiftly it collapses in your hands
- The present is the only thing that has no end
- We have scrubbed the world clean of magic
- Life must be lived as a game
- To define is to limit
So there you have it, let me know which one was your favorite or if you’ve read any good books lately. Leave me your recommendations below.